The car came out of nowhere. There was nothing you could do to avoid wrecking your motorcycle. Now you are lying on the road in pain, and you think you might be seriously injured. What should you do next?
What to do after you are hit
Hopefully, you never have to live through this scenario. But as a rider, you know that the risk of getting into a motorcycle accident in Evans or around the Augusta area is high. You need to know what to do to get yourself physically and financially healthy as soon as possible after a wreck caused by a negligent driver.
- Look after your own safety. If you are on the road, get yourself away from traffic if you can.
- Examine your body to see if you have any obvious injuries. Keep in mind that some motor vehicle accident injuries don’t show up right away.
- Call 911, or have someone else call 911.
- Stay calm. Don’t get into an argument with the driver, even if they won’t apologize. Try not to elevate the tension higher than it already is.
- Use your phone or a disposable camera to take pictures of the motorcycle accident scene. Include as much as you can.
- Exchange information with the other party or parties. You will need things like their driver’s license number, insurance information, license plate and personal contact information.
- Get medical attention as soon as possible, and follow your doctor’s advice. Keep copies of all your medical bills. These documents can help you show how much compensation you are entitled to.
- File a claim with your insurance company.
Finally, you should contact a personal injury attorney who regularly represents victims of motorcycle wrecks. This will give you an edge in negotiations with the insurance company, and in court if necessary.